In recent events, Hurricane Ida has given a glimpse of what storms of the future will look like as weather patterns change, ice glaciers melt, and ocean temperatures rise.
Hurricanes are getting stronger. Climate change is exasperating the issue with no relief in sight. It is important to know how to protect yourself and your property in the event that you are faced with a flood.
In addition, Glendale, CA is at risk of major flooding over the next 30 years.
4 Safety tips for securing your home from a flood
Extreme weather conditions continue to disrupt the lives of many around the globe. Protect your home before, during, and after a flood.
1. Prevention methods before the flood season:
- Take an inventory of your possessions using a video or photos.
- Make sure you seal up any cracks in the walls.
- Clean out all gutters, downspouts, catch basins, and drains.
- Make sure there is an automatic secondary backup for the sump pump.
2. Protect during a flood:
- Unplug all appliances and turn off stoves, electricity, gas, and water.
- Elevate larger pieces of furniture on wood or cement blocks if possible. If this is not possible, anchor the items and protect them with a floodwall.
3. After the flood:
- Look for signs of mold within 24 to 48 hours.
- Document the damage with pictures or videos.
- Keep the fans running.
- Report the damage to your insurance company.
- Always have an evacuation plan and meeting place ready in case of an emergency.
- Keep emergency supplies on hand.
- Have a 72-hour emergency kit ready at all times.
Speak to an expert at Voi Insurance Solutions LLC, serving Glendale, CA, to find out more about insurance options that may be right for you.